Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What am I doing?

So I'm in this process to become a therapist.  Didn't really know what that entailed when I signed up.  I have realized that this is going to be one painful growing process.  I had envisioned therapy to be simple in helping people get to a better place, but it is sssoooo not.  Oftentimes in your clients you will see that change needs to occur but what would be nice is if you could just tell them, "Hey, you need to do this and this and then you'll be happy."  That's the Jen way and that's what my mind wants to do but that isn't going to cut it.  I have to know how to help them get to the point that they come to the realization to change on their own.  It's a challenging process, especially for my brain that naturally wants to fix it and know what I'm doing and where I'm going.  No real plan to therapy and when you get comfortable in a plan, it will be ripped out from underneath you and you will realize You Cannot Plan.  Oh, I'm learning so much but am scared to death.  I feel like there are people to help but it's a very vulnerable and uncomfortable experience.  What's also hard is that when you say you're a therapist, people somehow think you are an expert or miracle worker when really you are just the same old Jen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment